Sunday 9 August 2009

The Wedding Game....

This is so totally random a post. I don't know why I have been thinking about the way we ''waste'' money in Africa over ceremonies. The one that bothers me the most is weddings. Why do we have to spend so much on wedding ceremonies.

A typical Naija Bride wants to wear a dress that cost between $3,000 to $15,000. Now, I do not have a problem with that if your father is Otedola or the present President of Nigeria(which means that your father don chop our money finish). Alright, back to the point after spending so much on the wedding dress, why chunk it inside a wardrobe for the remaining part of your life. Why?


Then, you find out that the parents of the couple can decide to ''die''(no pun intended) over aso ebi or the musician to sing on the wedding day. After which the musician will either make you cry or laugh your butts off. At my cousin's wedding, you won't believe the so called "Police Band" did not show face at the reception. We sort of clapped our way to the high table. I have never been more embarrassed in my life.


The part that annoys me the most is after spending 25 million naira for a wedding it will still end at 6pm maximum. If you still spend 100 thousand na the same 6pm and you will wear the same wedding gown.

The wedding planners are making money off us, do I blame them No! She has capitalized on people like you and I that most definitely are party freaks. Is it not madness for a wedding planner to take 10% of the amount you want to spend on your wedding. Of course, a wedding planner does a lot for you running around to get stuff for the wedding. But think about it, are those things really important.

I know a couple that spent close to 6million on their wedding and the couple do not have a car! Not even a rickety one to push them around. Another couple that are quite close to me spent so much time looking for souvenirs and aso ebi and MC that they forgot that the couple will not continue to live in the Uncle's house. They didn't get their own apartment. Madness, I call it.


Wait sef, why am I ranting... the purpose of this post is to ask this golden question

"DOES THE AMOUNT SPENT ON A WEDDING CEREMONY DETERMINES THE SUCCESS OF THE MARRIAGE ITSELF''.

9 comments:

Tee~Blahnick said...

na show off go kill naijas...Our effizy is too much... What piss me off in that country is how many ppl waste money over the dumbest things {or events that'll only last a day} half of these ppl @ ur wedding or events don't even know u and the only reason why they're there is to criticize u anyways!

Seeing those boys on the street running a mile just to sell gala to these rich men is quite annoying..don't thses rich ppl feel a tad bit guilty?? gosh!

temmy tayo said...

@Tee-Blahnic: I doubt it. The way we consciously burn money in Nigeria is alarming. All in the name of satisfying people that will still abuse you. Eesh..

DiAmOnD hawk said...

well the obvious answer is no...
i bristle at spending so much money but at the end of the day... even though it's one day... it's a big celebration of what should be a once in a lifetime event... and to each his own... commemorate it however you want it...

doll (retired blogger) said...

na so..

we spend so much time planning for the ceremony forgetting it just a day while the marriage is for the rest of our lives....
weddings can be so much cheaper and less time consuming...

that said i still want all the paparazzi..its once in a lifetime now

N.I.M.M.O said...

I sincerely don't know what to say.

I am married and I know what I went through on this same topic before my wedding.

In fact, I almost became persona non-grata because I refused to do some things.

I simply asked anyone who wanted anything -like musicians, decor, aso ebi etc etc - to buy/bring it at their own costs and I will gratefully thank them during my speech.

Many of them did not show up.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

of the importance of it all - to thank God and glorify God for the previledge to experience His love with another human being. Too much money and resources are spent on just the one day, to the detriment of the marriage itself.

God give us wisdom oh.

Blessing said...

LOL...this is soooo interesting, I was just thinking bout this a few mins ago. Yes we Africans, tend to go a tab bit overboard with weddings and all the glamour that is associated with it!

To answer your question NOOOOOO way, if the amount of money that's spent on planning a wedding was used to invest in the marriage, then the divorce rate wouldn't be so high! The real work begins after the honeymoon stage is over.

Anonymous said...

If I get married I'm going to over indulge but not if I don't even have a house or a car or be in debt. That's more than being wasteful that's just dumb to spend millions and not have your life together...

aloted said...

the simple answer is NO..they are not related in anyway!